We're seeking an experienced (3-6 years), sharp web developer (back-end or full-stack) to join our team to help develop web applications, sites and tools for higher education, urban planning, museums, and legal services. Join a supportive team that values your contribution, and where we work together to help our clients make the world a better place.
This position is primarily located in Los Angeles in the Koreatown (Wilshire/Western) area. After two years with Urban Insight, remote work is possible.
Some of our current projects include:
- Creating a website to deliver affordable online video courses.
- Building a web service to help victims of crime find free legal help.
- Developing a website for one of nation's leading museums.
- Creating a next-generation web application that personalizes planning documents like general plans a
- 3-5 years experience with Drupal, WordPress, Symfony, Node.js or equivalent.
- 3-5 years experience with PHP and MySQL.
- You're comfortable building custom themes or modules with Drupal or plugins for WordPress.
- Experience with Git.
- You've worked successfully as part of a team.
- Bachelor's degree, any field.
- Work as part of a team that typically includes a digital project manager, strategist, front-end and back-end engineers, designer, and Q/A specialist.
- Help to plan, design and create innovative websites, using open source web content management systems like Drupal and Wordpress.
- Help to design and create web applications using Angular, Node.js, PHP and MySQL.
- Although we have a primary office in LA, we’re also a partially distributed team. If you feel comfortable using tools like Slack, Zoom, case tracking, you’ll fit right in.
- Write clear, concise documentation and case updates.
Your Career Path
The position offers multiple career paths within Urban Insight. The most likely career path for a high-achieving team member is to promote to Senior Web Developer (1-2 years), Engineer (1-2 years), Senior Engineer (2 years), and Director (2 years). Alternative career paths include roles in operations, technical architecture or project management.
About Urban Insight
- Urban Insight is a Los Angeles-based digital agency with 20 team members.
- We’re the top-ranked Web development and Drupal agency in Los Angeles, according to Clutch, an independent analyst. Have a look at what our clients say about us.
- We help our clients beautiful and flexible websites and applications. We do this by providing strong project leadership, honest advice, thoughtful design and technical best-practices.
- We take on cutting edge, challenging projects for appreciative clients, and have a supportive and team-based approach to projects.
- We plan, design and create innovative websites, and we often use open source web content management systems like Drupal and Wordpress
- We design and develop custom applications using tools like Angular, node.js, Stripe, PHP, Javsacript, Bootstrap and MysQL.
- We are one of the few agencies that know how to manage a technology project (one of our founders literally wrote a book on it). We employ a combination of waterfall (requirements and design) and agile (development) methodologies.
Why Work At Urban Insight?
- We take on interesting, meaningful projects for appreciative clients.
- We have many training opportunities, and we actively support training and certification.
- We work with you to create a career path that works for you.
- Average employee tenure is 7.2 years.
- We're stable. We've been in business for 18 years, and continue to grow each year.
- We offer a casual and flexible working environment with plenty of opportunities for growth for the right candidate.
- We believe in a reasonable life/work balance and usually have 40-hour work weeks.
- Team members work with the latest hardware and software, and can choose their primary OS (Win/Mac/Linux), and have the other environments available for dev/testing.
- We offer free snacks, premium coffee and filtered water all day long.
- We have regular catered Lunch 'n Learns on a variety of topics. Recent topics have included: Atomic theming patterns, Introduction to Adobe XD, Intro to AWS architecture, Drupal 8 Layouts and Landing pages.
- You may not need to drive. Our office is directly above the Metro Purple Line Normandie Station (and we’ll buy you a Metro pass).
- There are many more reasons.
We offer a competitive salary, which depends quite a lot on your qualifications and experience. Our salary package includes:
- Health insurance (95% employer-paid).
- Dental insurance (95% employer-paid).
- Vision insurance (95% employer-paid).
- Company sponsored 401(k) plan with employer match (after 60 days).
- LA Metro transit access card that allows you to ride everything that Metro owns, including Metro rail, Metro local buses, Metro Rapid buses, 24x7.
- Paid sick leave.
- Paid vacation leave (after 60 days).
- Enjoy premium coffee, filtered water and snacks while you work.
- Performance and compensation reviews annually.
If you think you might be interested in working with us, please send a letter of introduction and resume in PDF or Text format (No Word documents, please) to email@example.com. A good introduction letter really gets our attention. Please tell us why we'd be a good fit for your skills.
Thank you for your potential interest in joining the Urban Insight team.